Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Spring Update

I've said it before, but I am quite possibly the worst blogger ever!

The last few weeks have given me plenty of time time think, reflect and re-prioritize.  I've been sick--tummy troubles with no explanation just yet.  I have an appointment with my primary care doctor next Thursday after having visited urgent care over a week ago.  The day in which I have answers can't come soon enough.  I've had stomach pains in the past but they never lasted more than a couple days, and I'd be good as new.  But not this time.

During this time, I really learned some new things about me:

  • Despite the fact that I struggle with eating well and finding myself at the gym regularly at times, I think I have finally developed some good, healthy habits.  I actually missed prepping my meals and going to the gym.
  • The body may be fragile at times, but it is actually very resilient.  I realize there are more painful situations in life, but this time, it has really tested me.  I still feel pretty weak and tired due to not much exercise and generally poor diet, but I have some crazy urge to strap on the sports bra and shoes and head out to do something!
  • Taking the simple things in life for granted will never happen again.  I have a newfound appreciation for staying home, getting comfy, and possibly, do something I don't often get to do.  It's called getting my room in order.  I have a room in our home that the husband lovingly refers to as the Hen Den.  If I sewed, it would be my sewing room.  Or crafting room, if I crafted.  I guess you can say it's my "home office."  Okay, technically, it's not done yet but it is a lot tidier than it was before.  Surely one is familiar with the whole, "I don't have time to clean up the house for last minute guests, so let's throw everything in this one room/closet to do later" kind of thing but that moment of later is open-ended.
  • Spending time with your friends, telling stories and jokes over a simple meal is quite possibly one of my favorite pastimes.  I love that I am finally surrounded by people who want the same things in life--and that we're willing to support each in our individual endeavors.  We had some friends over for our birthday celebration.  I don't mind celebrating both our birthdays together...I mean, it's only 11 days apart!
  • I still wanted to cook, even though my stomach hurt and I had very little appetite.  Clearly, my fitness goals have been put aside until I felt better.  I know I still have to eat--and for 2 weeks I was only eating rice porridge and bananas, the only things that I could eat without too much pain.  Health is my priority, now more than ever.  When you're in bed in the fetal position due to the intense pain, you get kind of desperate for relief.  I was getting a bit concerned that I might end up malnourished since I was eating the same old, same old for what seemed like forever.
I am hopeful today.  Being positive and looking for ways to reduce stress are the only ways that can really help this situation, especially since there are no answers yet.

Anyway, being sad never cured anything so here are some happy thoughts:


I made this cake for the birthday celebration.  Chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, and strawberry jam filling.  I got the idea for the decorations from this blog post.  Of course, I got this crazy idea the morning of our birthday brunch.  Probably should have practiced beforehand--I wasn't sure if it was going to look good but the friends seemed to like it.  It isn't bad but it could be a lot neater.  The frosting was probably a little thinner than desired for this type of decor.  Either way, we were so glad to have spent time with our friends :-)


I do love me some pretty roses.  We have three rose bushes in front of our house.  I have no green thumb whatsoever but apparently rose bushes are quite sturdy.  Or, maybe I am lucky!  The white rose bush is a tall and slender plant, there aren't usually a lot of blossoms at any given time, not like the two other bushes.  Either way, I snapped this pic this morning of a gorgeous white rose.  The picture is the epitome of spring in my book.  Growth.  Renewal.  Cleansing.  Changing my mindset of how I look at myself has definitely changed me for the better.  I see the beauty in things and people more than I ever did.  Learning to see the good, rather than criticize the bad is a great lesson for all.  I'm going to try to uplift and inspire others, rather than judge them.

Since this is an update, there must be goals.  This coming Monday I am resuming my workout schedule.  I have already resumed my healthy eating habits and dealing with the pain.  I feel getting back to my routine will be good for me.  At least until my doctor tells me otherwise.  Between now and July 2, I need to get my act together in terms of sticking with my year's fitness goals.  I don't care to be a flabby blob any longer!  I love how my body is shaping up, how much stronger I am.  Sure, there is an opportunity to look hot in a swimsuit this year.  2014 is the year I finally come out of my shell and wear a bikini in public.  Yes, it's going to happen!

Also, I hope to carve out more time to blog.  I don't always find healthy ways to express myself, I think writing posts can help me sort my thoughts and straighten things out.  That's the name of the game: finding new, healthy habits, to improve myself more a little each day.


♥ ♥ ♥,
connie

No comments:

Post a Comment